Push-ups are one of the most popular exercises that can be done anywhere, anytime, and without any equipment. However, using push-up handles can increase the efficiency and effectiveness of this exercise. Push-up handles, also known as push-up bars, are small devices that are used to perform push-ups. They are designed to improve your push-up form and decrease the risk of injury.
Push-up handles offer several benefits, such as reducing the pressure on your wrists and allowing you to perform a deeper push-up. They also help to engage more muscles, such as your chest, triceps, and shoulders, resulting in a more effective workout. However, to get the maximum results from push-up handles, it is crucial to use them properly.
In this article, we will guide you on how to use push-up handles properly for maximum results. We will cover the correct form, the best exercises to perform with push-up handles, and the common mistakes to avoid. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced fitness enthusiast, this guide will help you to get the most out of your push-up handles and take your workout to the next level.
Benefits of Using Push Up Handles
Push up handles are a great tool to add to your workout routine. Here are some benefits of using push up handles:
- Increased Range of Motion: Using push up handles allows you to lower your body further than you would with a regular push up, which can lead to increased activation of your chest muscles.
- Reduced Wrist Pain: Push up handles can help reduce wrist pain by allowing your wrists to remain in a neutral position, rather than bending at an awkward angle during the exercise.
- Improved Core Activation: Push up handles require more core stabilization than regular push ups, which can help improve your overall core strength.
- Targeted Muscle Activation: Push up handles can target specific muscle groups, such as your chest, triceps, and shoulders, more effectively than regular push ups.
- Variety: Incorporating push up handles into your workout routine can add variety and challenge to your push up workouts.
Overall, push up handles can be a valuable addition to your workout routine, helping you to maximize your results and target specific muscle groups more effectively. However, it’s important to use proper form and technique to avoid injury and get the most out of your workouts.
Choosing the Right Push Up Handles
If you’re looking to incorporate push up handles into your workout routine, it’s important to choose the right ones. Here are some factors to consider:
- Grip: Look for handles with a comfortable and secure grip. Handles that are too slippery or too rough can lead to discomfort or even injury.
- Stability: Handles should be stable and not wobble during use. Look for handles with a wide base or non-slip feet to ensure stability.
- Height: Consider the height of the handles. Handles that are too high or too low can put unnecessary strain on your wrists and shoulders.
- Material: Handles can be made from various materials such as plastic, metal, or foam. Choose a material that is durable and comfortable for you.
It’s also important to consider your fitness level and goals when choosing push up handles. Some handles may be more suitable for beginners, while others may be better for advanced users.
Ultimately, the right push up handles for you will depend on your personal preferences and needs. Consider trying out a few different types before making a final decision.
Proper Form for Using Push Up Handles
Push up handles are a great tool to help you get the most out of your push up workout. To use them properly, it’s important to follow these guidelines:
- Place the push up handles shoulder-width apart on the ground.
- Get into a plank position with your hands on the handles and your feet hip-width apart.
- Engage your core and keep your body in a straight line from head to heels.
- Lower your body down toward the ground, keeping your elbows close to your body.
- Push yourself back up to the starting position.
It’s important to maintain proper form throughout the exercise to avoid injury and get the most out of your workout. Here are some tips to help you maintain proper form:
- Keep your head in a neutral position, looking down at the ground.
- Breathe in as you lower your body down and exhale as you push yourself back up.
- Keep your shoulders down and away from your ears.
- Engage your glutes and quads to help stabilize your body.
Remember to start with a few reps and gradually increase the number of reps and sets as you get stronger. Using push up handles can help you get more out of your push up workout and achieve maximum results.
Variations of Push Up Handles Exercises
Push up handles are a versatile tool that can be used to perform a variety of exercises. Here are some of the most popular variations:
- Wide-grip push ups: Place the push up handles wider than shoulder width apart to target the chest muscles more effectively.
- Close-grip push ups: Place the push up handles close together to target the triceps and shoulders more effectively.
- Decline push ups: Place the push up handles on an elevated surface, such as a bench or step, to increase the difficulty of the exercise and target the upper chest muscles.
- Incline push ups: Place the push up handles on a lower surface, such as a yoga block or mat, to decrease the difficulty of the exercise and target the lower chest muscles.
- Spiderman push ups: Bring your knee up to your elbow as you lower your body down, alternating sides with each repetition.
- Mountain climber push ups: Bring your knee up to your elbow as you lower your body down, but instead of alternating sides, perform the same side for several repetitions before switching to the other side.
Remember to start with the basic push up exercise before moving on to variations. It’s important to maintain proper form and alignment throughout the exercise to avoid injury and maximize results.
Tips for Maximizing Results
Push up handles are a great addition to your workout routine. They can help you target specific muscle groups and increase the intensity of your push up workout. Here are some tips to help you use push up handles properly for maximum results:
- Start slow: If you’re new to using push up handles, start with a few sets of push ups without them. This will help you get comfortable with the movement and ensure that you’re using proper form.
- Position your hands correctly: Place your hands shoulder-width apart on the handles. This will help you maintain proper form and engage the right muscles.
- Keep your body in a straight line: Make sure your body is in a straight line from your head to your heels. This will help you engage your core and prevent injury.
- Don’t let your elbows flare out: Keep your elbows close to your body throughout the movement. This will help you target your triceps and prevent shoulder injuries.
- Vary your hand placement: You can target different muscle groups by changing your hand placement. For example, placing your hands closer together will target your triceps, while placing them wider apart will target your chest.
- Gradually increase the intensity: Once you’re comfortable with using push up handles, you can gradually increase the intensity of your workout by adding more sets or reps, or by using weighted handles.
By following these tips, you can use push up handles properly and maximize your results. Remember to listen to your body and take breaks as needed, and always consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new exercise routine.